Welcome to the website of the Economics Department at the University of Cyprus. We are one of the original departments of the University of Cyprus, having accepted our first undergraduate students in 1992 and the first postgraduate students in 1999. Today the Department offers two undergraduate programs, the BSc in Economics and the interdepartmental BSc in Mathematics and Economics, which is jointly offered with the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. It also offers three graduate programs at the master level:
- The Master in Monetary and Financial Economics is designed for students interested in pursuing a career in the financial sector.
- The Master in Economic Analysis prepares students for a PhD degree in Economics.
- The Master in Business Economics (Technology, Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship), a joint program with Wageningen University in the Netherlands and the University of Crete in Greece.
The Department also runs a PhD program that provides training for students who are interested in becoming researchers and working in academia, policy making, or the private sector. Our PhD graduates work in universities in Cyprus and abroad, in the public sector, in research organizations, and in the private sector.
Vision and mission
The Department's vision and mission are articulated in the Faculty of Economics and Management' Strategic Plan for 2018-20:
Vision: we aspire to become one of the leading schools in economics and management in the region, enabling researchers and students, to unlock their potential and thrive for the benefit of the economy, the society and the environment.
Mission: the mission of our School is to provide world-class undergraduate and graduate education in the fields of economics and management and extend the boundaries of knowledge through research, in a vibrant and stimulating learning environment, promoting a culture of excellence through innovation, inclusion, service and partnership with the local community, the region and the world.
- Equip students with qualifications acceptable to employers in Cyprus, the European Union and the rest of the world and comparable to those of the best universities abroad.
- Prepare students for graduate studies and research in Cyprus and at top universities abroad.
- Engage in research with a view to producing results of high international academic standard.
- Set the standards for the discussion of local economic and of European and international economic issues and appropriate economic policy decisions.
The Department's teaching philosophy is to encourage students to study economic issues in depth and with independence of mind. For this reason the emphasis in the teaching program is to help students develop strong analytical skills and acquire the ability to critically assess economic arguments. We pursue these objectives through a rigorous teaching program covering mainstream subjects based on contemporary methods of economic analysis.
The teaching and research program of the Department is also concerned with economic issues of interest to Cyprus. The objective is to provide a constructive framework for scientific investigation of such problems. We believe that a high international profile of the Department will contribute to resolving local problems. The Department aims at becoming a center for the study of economic issues concerning Cyprus and providing evidence-based analysis that could be used as an input in national debates and policy formulation.